The 2018 Career Practitioner’s Day was held on Friday the 11th of May at William Angliss Institute. It was run by a team of Event Management Diploma Students, Elite Events. Elite Events partnered up with the Marketing and Schools Liaison Officer, Anna- Liza Shepherd to organise the event.
As part of our last semester of the Diploma of Events we got the opportunity to organise and run an event in consultation with a client. My group was given the William Angliss Careers Practitioners Day held on Wednesday 24th May 2017 to organise.
Our team was made up of 4 team members (Mariana, David, Suzuyo & Maletina). As a group we decided to call ourselves Lexicon Productions and I designed our team logo. Each team member was responsible for specific elements of the event.
Our client was Tessa & Alex, who work in the Marketing department of William Angliss. Our main contact was Tessa, who we met with on numerous occasions to pitch our ideas and confirm details in the lead up to the event. The event consisted of a conference held in the Angliss Conference Centre in the morning, follwed by a lunch in the Angliss Restaurant. The conference had a plenary session with an industry panel of guest speakers from across the hospitality, tourism and events industries. This was then followed by different workshops run by William Angliss Student Services and graduated students, who explained their experience in the industry and how they have become successful in their projects and fields.
The event had a total number of 102 attendees that registered to attend the event this year. As we group we had to organise the following elements for the event:
- Design event theme. The client chose a geometric theme.
- Book the conference centre
- Set up the conference centre and style all tables
- Create and put up signage throughout the campus
- Meet & greet attendees upon arrival
- Assist with creating the conference program
- Book lunch venue
- Consult with the Angliss Restaurant with regards to menu and beverage requirements
- Brief hospitality students working as wait staff
- Coordinate the service of food with the front of house team
- Set up the restaurant including all styling elements for the lunch
- Run the lunch service
- Assist with running the raffle at the end of the lunch
Overall, this was a great experience planning this event over the last 4 months. As a team we learnt many valuable skills that will benefit us when working in the Events industry. Our client and guests gave us positive feedback on the event and congratulated us on the successful running of the event.
Project Team Leader